Productivity & Accomplishment - Live Online Course
Welcome to your Productivity & Accomplishment Live Online Course!
Preparing for Session 7:
Inbox Zero and Email Management
Complete your inbox! Work toward getting it to zero, and implementing the new practices to keep it there at the end of each day.
Practice managing your email only during scheduled occasions. How much time, and how often, will you need to handle it? Who will you need to inform of your new practices?
Effective meeting strategies and practices
Implement the meeting practices you find useful:
- Limit meetings to 45 minutes, instead of 1 hour.
- List the objectives being fulfilled and outcomes intended for the meeting in the invitation to attendees. Request this when missing from meetings you are invited to.
- Start and end on time.
- Do not go back and review for latecomers.
- List next action steps, if any, for all participants by end of the day.
- Allow at least 15 minutes between consecutive meetings.
- Everyone is required to have a way of capturing information at the meeting. Promises to “remember” are not allowed.
- Authentic No’s and Counteroffers are acceptable.
- People who accept requests are asked to check their schedule, right in the meeting, to see if they have the time. Accepting requests without available Nows is not accepted.
The Implementation Checklist
Download and review the checklist, and schedule anything you need time to complete.
Review the Key Learnings from Session 7
Session 1 Pre-work
Session 2 Pre-work
Session 3 Pre-work
- State of Completion
Take one item in your environment that is currently incomplete, and do whatever you need to do to bring it to a state of completion (i.e. – so it's not on your mind, and no longer nagging at you).
- Complete the Existence Structure Inventory
- Review Key Learnings from Session 2
Session 4 Pre-work:
- Complete the Drilling Up from Something To-Do or Handle exercise - try to do one for a personal item, and another for a work related item.
- Read the article, "Multitasking Is Killing Your Brain"
- Review the Key Learnings from Session 3
Session 5 Pre-Work:
Practice writing a Statement of Accomplishment
Download the form to work through drilling up to a Concern, and then writing a Statement of Accomplishment for something to do or handle.
Create an Occasion
Create at least one Occasion for anything you have to do or handle. You can use what you were working on in the Drilling Up form or pick something new.
To create the Occasion, schedule a Now or series of Now's of sufficient duration and state the thing to do or handle as an accomplishment.
Setting up Your Infrastructure
Follow the instructions to set up Outlook for use with the new tools and work practices we'll be introducing
If you use Outlook on a PC, the instructions for setup can be found here.
If you use Outlook on a Mac, the instructions for setup can be found here.
You do NOT have to use Microsoft Outlook to manage your email and calendars and other tools in the Mission Control infrastructure. If you’re using a system other than Microsoft Outlook (gmail, or other programs) please send a message to your workshop leader saying what you use for email and calendar and some times you are available to talk before the next session. Your leader will get back to you with a response in email or to schedule an occasion to support you in setting up your infrastructure.
The Everything Inventory
For this activity, type in or write down everything you have to do and handle. EVERYTHING. It could be washing the car, fixing a broken toilet seat, buying groceries, emailing a report for work, etc.
If you use Outlook If you have completed the Outlook setup, put all of the items into the folder called Never Doing Now, which will be located in the new Vivid Display folder.
If you have not completed the Outlook setup, do that first and then add the items to the Never Doing Now folder.
If you do not use Outlook, you can use Microsoft Excel with our pre-formatted file to use for your Mission Control infrastructure.
- Review the Key Learnings from Session 4 and the Session 1-4 Recap.
Session 6 Pre-Work:
Choose your Capture Tool
Your capture tool should be either a steno or small pad of paper, or a smartphone (or similar device - such as an iPod Touch)
Keep in mind these work practices
- Use one (and only one) Capture Tool
- Keep it at hand at all times
- Throughout your day, immediately enter anything to do or handle
- At the end of each day, empty your Capture Tool.
- Be sure to schedule a daily Occasion in your Calendar to empty your Capture Tool..
What are you doing now?
From your Everything Inventory, choose items you will do Now and schedule Occasions for Accomplishment in your Calendar.
Tip: Schedule 50-100% more time for most of your Occasions. You can work through this optional exercise - Tracking Your Time - as a guide for creating a realistic day.
Write a least two Occasions as Statements of Accomplishment.
Note the impact these practices have on your experience of Power, Freedom and Peace of Mind...
- Review the Key Learnings from Session 5.
Session 7 Pre-Work:
Your Everything Inventory - the last step
Now that we've covered the remaining tools of the Mission Control system, move any remaining things to do or handle from your Everything Inventory into your Calendar of Occasions, Not Doing Now List or Never Doing Now List.
If there are items you will be handling in occasions with a person or team, add those items to the appropriate Agenda.
Any information that is required to accomplish things you plan to do should be added to those items as Relevant Information.
Be mindful of eliminating any other "to-do" lists that you may still be keeping. Your Capture Tool should now be the one and only place where new items to handle are entered. But it's not a "to-do" list. Items are there only until you can move them into your Vivid Display during your daily occasion.